The Ayala group of companies has raised and donated more than P14.5 million in cash and at least P2 million in kind to Tropical Storm Ondoy relief efforts which began on September 26. This includes contributions from Filipinos abroad coursed through Ayala Foundation USA as well as donations from employees, business partners, and suppliers. In addition, Globe received more than P2.5 million from its subscribers through the Donate-a-Load service for the Philippine National Red Cross.
Aside from donating to partner organizations such as ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya, GMA Kapuso, Gawad Kalinga, Corporate Network for Disaster Response, Caritas Manila, and the Red Cross, the Ayala group focused its own relief efforts on underserved areas in Rizal, Marikina, Pasig, Bulacan, Novaliches, Pampanga, Bulacan, Old Sta. Mesa, Paranaque, Quezon City, Valenzuela, Mandaluyong, Caloocan, Pasay, Makati, Taguig, and Laguna. Ayala companies have operations in these areas and thus were able to respond immediately.
Other responses from the Ayala group:
• Ayala companies also provided essential services: Globe Telecom set up Libreng Tawag stations and communication support for disaster relief organizations. It also lowered per-minute call fees for a certain period. Manila Water restored water availability in its concession area and deployed water tankers to provide potable water. BPI and Globe’s G-Cash waived transactional fees for remittances.
• Direct donations of relief packages to more than 15,000 families
• Ayala Land conducted medical missions in several affected barangays
• More than 1,200 employees in the Ayala group volunteered to pack and distribute relief goods
• Ayala Malls, Globe Business Centers and select BPI branches accepted in-kind donations from the public
• For employees affected by the typhoon, Ayala companies provided relief packages, direct financial assistance, and/or calamity loans. And in BPI, for example, its Employee for Employee program has so far raised a substantial amount that will be matched by the company. Employees are also given a day off to help clean up homes of their colleagues.
The Ayala group continues to accept donations through Ayala Foundation’s BPI Account # #0011-1490-22 and the Ayala Foundation USA website at www.af-usa.org.